Posts by Foster Dog

Monday, August 1, 2011

Update, August 1, 2011

Oink. Oink. Oink.

Miss Penny is a pig. :)

And I don't mind at all. She's gained 2/10 of a pound since Saturday, and if she's comfortable with three meals a day, that's fine with me. She can eat all she wants right now. My only fear is she's going to decide that all meals should begin with a soup course...specifically the mock Southwestern Chicken Soup I started her out on. Not sure what I'll do if that's the case.

Her eye drainage is pretty well gone. Ditto the nasal drainage. I'll probably cut back on her eye drops to twice a day when I give her her antibiotic. I want to continue the drops through at least mid-week; better would be to go through to Saturday. They've definitely helped her eyes feel more comfortable.

Her cough is still present, though no where near as bad. I suspect this will be the last thing to go (if it isn't caused by either heartworms or an undetected heart murmur).

I've emailed Linne to let her know that once Penny is done with her antibiotics, she'll need the flap over dental surgery to close the oronasal fistula and she'll need to be spayed. I'm hoping that by the time she's done with the antibiotics (it's a 14 day course), she'll have the weight on her I want her to have. I want to give her every opportunity for the surgery to be as easy as possible. A decision will have to be made on the heartworm treatment, too. I suspect a visit to Dr. Walthall for a good check over and talk about options.

I can't stress enough what an absolute joy this little girl is to have around the house. I cannot fathom her being picked up and never claimed. She was obviously loved and pampered. She is so happy and wants to please her people. It just amazes me that she didn't get returned to her owner.

Penny is going to make someone an absolutely wonderful pet. I'd say no small children, but her intake at the shelter said she was good with kids, so I imagine older children would suit her down to the bone.

Since she's responding so well to the antibiotics, I'm going to take a couple of days off updating her blog.I'll probably post again on Wednesday. Not sure when I can get good photos because I'd like to do some outside in the sun, but I don't need sun and 108 degrees. Right now, I can get LOTS of photos of her sleeping because she adores doing that, but I'd like to see about getting a decent shot for her profile photo here, along with some that show her personality. We'll just have to try some picture taking and see what we get.